This creamy parmesan mushroom sauce is like liquid gold and everything it touches tastes better with it. Toss it in some pasta for a quick dinner, spoon it over grilled chicken or steak, serve it on top of mashed potatoes - the possibilities are endless!
Somedays you just need simple and exceptional. Which is exactly what this parmesan mushroom sauce is. Its low maintenance, fuss free, under 10 ingredients but with so much umami that I usually end up eating spoonfuls before it even hits the table.
This is one of those recipes that has so many uses, and goes with so many things. You have ONE mushroom sauce for TEN different meal ideas.
Use Parmesan Mushroom Sauce in so many ways!
- Toss this with pasta for a quick and easy creamy mushroom sauce pasta
- Serve this on top of grilled chicken for saucy chicken and mushrooms
- Use this creamy mushroom sauce for steak
- Serve this mushroom sauce with leftover rice for a fast and easy dinner
- Pour ladlefuls over mashed potatoes when you just want comfort food
- Dip some toast into the sauce for breakfast
- Spoon this over baked potatoes
- Serve this over scrambled eggs - trust me!
- Serve this over garlicky oats - trust me again!
- Toss some chicken meatballs in mushroom sauce
See what I mean? And I can go on and on. This mushroom sauce has that earthy, umami flavor that can be so addictive. I'll often scrape it off my plate because dinner is over and I still can't stop licking the sauce.
Secret Ingredients in this Mushroom Sauce
The two ingredients that take a regular mushroom sauce to the next level are white wine and freshly grated parmesan. Not so secret anymore. But you'll be adding these again and again, once you try this recipe. The white wine adds acidity to the recipe. Don't worry it's not boozy. The alcohol evaporates and what we are left with is just flavor. And parmesan naturally makes the sauce creamy and thickens it up without the addition of any starch.
No fancy mushrooms required!
This sauce may look fancy but you don't need to go searching for fancy mushrooms here. I always use regular button mushrooms. The trick is to brown them nicely to extract the most flavor out of them. We do this in batches, and on a high heat so that they don't get a chance to become soggy. If you throw in a low of mushrooms into the pan at once, the mushrooms will start steaming instead of roasting and that doesn't allow them to brown quickly and evenly.
Making this recipe healthier
To make this recipes healthier, replace the cream with milk. Add a tablespoon of cornflour to the milk and then add it to the sauce. This will keep the sauce creamy, make it lighter, and keep the milk from separating. But if you ask me, I'd indulge myself and just use cream!
I'm just a big fan. I can have this creamy parmesan mushroom sauce on repeat! haha I actually do.
More Mushroom Recipes
- Vegetarian Gravy with Mushrooms
- Creamy Chicken Meatballs in Mushroom Sauce
- Spinach Mushroom Stuffed Chicken
- Mushroom Soup
- Mushroom Tacos
- Mushroom Kale Linguine
- Mushroom Bacon Chicken
- Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Sauce
- 400 gm Button Mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Thyme fresh
- ½ cup White Wine
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Parmesan freshly grated
- ½ to 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- In a pan, heat oil and sauté the mushrooms in two batches till they are golden brown. Once the mushrooms are sautéed, add all the mushrooms back to the pan along with garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add half a cup of wine, along with thyme and cook till the wine is reduced to half.
- Reduce the flame to low and stir in cream and parmesan
- Add the thickness with vegetable stock. Add half a cup first and if you’d like your sauce more runny, add some more.
- Mushrooms: Button mushrooms work really in this recipe. You can also use cremini mushrooms if you have access to them.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme is amazing here, but if you only have dried thyme, use ¼ teaspoon.
- White Wine: Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc both work really well in this recipe. I wouldn't use any wine that's labelled cooking wine because they tend to have a weird taste. If you'd like to skip the wine, substitute it with stock.
- Healthier Mushroom Sauce: To substitute the cream, and make this mushroom sauce healthier, use 1 cup milk whisked with a tablespoon of cornstarch. Add it to the sauce and keep stirring it till the sauce thickens. Thin it out with stock as required.
- Parmesan: Only use freshly grated parmesan because pre-grated parmesan doesn't melt and thicken well. If you don't have access to parmesan, use cream cheese instead.
Lovely Blog! Thanks for posting and Visit my blog at https://sasblogger.com/
Carol Vivian says
Easy and lovely
Rishika Komarla says
Thank you so much! 🙂
Really Yummy . I substituted wine with veg stock. Kids loved it
Awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment! Soooo glad you liked it Vidsatz
Just curious if chicken stock would work as a substitute for vegetable. I'm in brazil and havent found vegetable stock yet.
Chicken stock works well too!